I need some help and since I know so many of you who read my blog are full of wonderful ideas and resources, I thought I'd put my questions here.
1. If I want to make crafty things (clothes, pillow shams, etc) using jersey knit, where would I buy the knit and more importantly what kind would I buy? I am always seeing cute things made of cute patterned knit and never know where to find it.
2. Lehi Roller Mills flour...can I buy this when I don't live in Utah and where? I miss just picking up super cheap giant bags of it at Costco in Utah. (sigh)
3. I recently decided that I hate all of my clothes and need to rediscover my style. I am sure it would help if I fit back in all my "skinny" clothes, but since we still have a way to go, I think I should start reworking my wardrobe in the meantime. This question is twofold: where do you go to find adorable clothes on the cheap and are there any blogs or pinterest boards or other places you look for style inspiration?
4. Along the style lines...I have lots of cute scarves and love the idea of wearing them, but I cannot for the life of me get a scarf to look cute around my neck. Any tips you can share?
5. If you were looking for a cheap piano on Craigslist (because you want the kids to start lessons soon, but know you will eventually move back to Utah and aren't wanting to move a piano) what "traits" would you watch out for? Obviously we want a piano that holds a tune, but how exactly do you test that out when you are buying used?
6. The girls have been wanting a barbie house for a long long time and now that we finally have the space for it, we are hoping that Santa will bring one to them for Christmas. What are the dos and don'ts of barbie house buying? I am fairly certain that I don't want anything that has a toilet that makes flushing noises or that has funky brightly colored wall paper. Wanting to go more the clean and simple route, but there are so many options and I don't know what to look for.
7. I am considering changing up my makeup routine. I need something simple and low maintenance that doesn't melt off of my face within a few hours. I am not sure I will ever get used to humidity. What are your makeup favorites?
Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







9 comments:
As far as clothing/style go, I like looking at blogs like Effortless Anthropologie (and other Anthro-related blogs) and Uber Chic for Cheap for inspiration. In terms of stores, it really depends on what you're looking for and whether you'd like to buy a lot of inexpensive things or just a few more expensive things. When I want trendy and inexpensive, I look at Down East Basics (can buy online), Forever 21 (awesome jeans for like $15), and Old Navy. There's almost always some sort of sale going on at Gap or Banana Republic. And my most favorite store is Anthropologie, which can by pricey but if you're patient, you can score stuff on super sale.
Re: making makeup last, have you tried primers? I don't wear foundation, but Too Faced makes an awesome primer called Primed & Poreless that makes your skin so even and smooth. And Urban Decay's eyelid primer changed my life. My eye makeup was always rubbing off by the end of the day, but now that I use this, it stays on for 14 hours or more. Love it. Oh, and use waterproof mascara so it doesn't flake or rub off. I used to be obsessed with DiorShow Mascara (crazy expensive), but now I layer Cover Girl Lash Blast waterproof the L'oreal Volume Collagen waterproof and they work even better!
Ok last part didn't make sense, but I meant that I layer the two mascaras on top of each other.
Oh I forgot a couple of other style blogs: Tricia's Take, The Girliest Boy Mom, The Daybook, and A Room Somewhere has "what I wore Wednesdays" where she puts some cute stuff together.
I am by no means a clothing guru, but forever 21 is a good place for cute shirts and charlotte russe has cute/cheap jewlery
You will never get used to humidity, you will just learn to live with it :( But your skin will notice the difference when you go back to the dry air....
Hey Jen!
I have found some very cute jersy knit at Hobby Lobby! If there is one by you check there1 Love that store.
With makeup thing I love MAC's moisture tint with a little powder on top. I know all to well about humidity!
Kimberly
I can give you a tip about a piano. Buy a digital one. I know that sounds weird but that is what I suggest to most of my piano student parents. Kids don't use the whole piano for quite a while. Also if your kids hate piano you haven't put out a fortune on a piano that will never get used. My sister took my advise in a digital piano for her kids to pracitce on and she loves it because they can put headphones on and it isn't so loud for her :).
If you go digital look for one with weighted keys. It feels more like a real piano.
I bought a digital keybord at Costco that is one octave shorter than a piano. I use it ALL the time with my students. It doesn't have weighted keys but works well for what I use it for (composing music and with my students).
I do love my piano, but digital is the way to go if you are planning on moving back here in the future. Then you don't have to worry about moving the piano. And the sounds are fun to play with :)
My makeup favorite is Avon's mineral makeup. It doesn't look like I have makeup on. Looks really natural and doesn't feel like I am wearing a mask. But I don't know about how it would be in humidity.? That is what I use anyway! Here is the link to it:
http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?src_page=product_list.aspx&level1_id=300&level2_id=301&pdept_id=576
Go to Red, White, and Blue. It's a thrift store in Oregon City, WAY cute stuff, especially for women (not so much for kids), and really nice high end stuff. I will watch your kids, go on a Wednesday morning and I will watch the kids and pick up Chloe so you can have 3 hours there to look. It's totally worth it. I got some Seven jeans there that I totally love, they were $8. Found Sofie an electronic globe for her birthday for $1.50, and Thomas a little pinball machine for $3...
And as far as flour goes, Bob's Redmill is made here in Oregon, i believe the actual factory is pretty close to us, and the products are pretty inexpensive at the store, like the same price as the generic brands, but the flour is WAY better...
You don't need any style tips from me, that's for sure! But I second everyone's comments about Forever 21. Whenever I go, I always find something trendy and cute. Your comment about scarves reminded me of a feature Lacey Davis just did on Studio 5. She did a house call and ambushed a mom who needed style help. You can probably watch the video on their website. Lacey's style is a little nuts to me, but she did have some fun ideas, so there you go.
I also agree that mineral makeup is absolutely the way to go. I like Covergirl Dream Smooth Mousse foundation, but their mineral powder sometimes is all I do and it covers up EVERYTHING. Watch for ELF Groupons (or just sign up for coupons at their website ... and they're really cheap anywyay). I just bought a huge stash of mineral eyeshadows from them that have been awesome.
I love seeing all of your updates and amazing, AMAZING pictures, especially of the kiddos at the apple orchard.
Post a Comment