Monday, November 3, 2014

The Night Sky Halloween 2014

I am just going to accept that I will probably not be a consistent blogger in the foreseeable future, so I am just going to record the current stuff when I have time and let the rest go. :) Between instagram and some random blog posts here and there, and the private journaling I do in DayOne on my iPhone, that should be a pretty complete picture of my life for posterity, right?

For starters, I have to say, I used to really enjoy Halloween, but at this stage in my life, I have decided I just don't love it...or really even like it. It is so much work/expectation/sugar/busyness with no good reason. Other holidays involve all the same things, but at least they have some redeeming quality like a celebration of giving, gratitude, love, life, patriotism, not to mention all the wonderful religious celebrations! Since I really don't like scary stuff or gross stuff and we aren't big into letting our kids have sweets because they turn into monsters, there just isn't much to redeem Halloween from being a pointless holiday for me. I love the creativity of coming up with fun costumes, and my kids are halloween fanatics, so one day, I hope to enjoy it again.

Despite my Halloween negativity, we managed to have a lot of Halloween fun this year amidst the craziness/crankiness. October is a crazy month, and was especially so this year with our anniversary trip, family in town, fall break, a relief society activity I was in charge of, and then Callie getting sick/passing away and getting a new puppy, so despite our costume plans being set in September, I did not have our costumes ready when the first party rolled around. That was probably the most fun costume night, though, because we totally made do with what we could come up with at our house in two hours or less. Morgan went as a skeleton in his glow in the dark jammies, I wore Chloe's ghost tutu from last year and went as the tooth fairy, the babies wore white onesies and we called them teeth, Seth wore a clown wig and a racquetball on his nose, Brynn wore Morgan's monster costume from last year, Ellie wore a Sleeping Beauty dress from the dress up bin, and Chloe insisted on being a mermaid. That was a tricky one, so after a few failed attempts to make something look like a mermaid tail, she ended up in a long purple maxi skirt of hers layered under a purple stretchy pencil skirt of mine, a swimsuit top, and shell jewelry. That girl and her ideas. I wish I had taken any pictures, but all I have are a couple shots a friend took of Morgan and Chloe (thank you for sending these to me Rachelle!). I am lame.




After that, I got my self in gear and got all the kids' costumes ready for the trunk or treat. Chloe had come up with the great idea of being constellations, so I painted glow in the dark stars on black outfits and connected the stars with tape. They were cool. But, the stars didn't glow and they paint was pretty faint, so it was kind of an epic Halloween fail because nobody knew what they were. (again, this is the only picture I took because I am lame).



After that, I got glow in the dark stars and just glued them on for actual Halloween night. I tested them, they worked and we were all set. We didn't get around to taking pictures until the light was almost gone, so the lighting is pretty terrible for most of them, but our stars were glowing and people knew what we were, until we got a few houses away and they stopped glowing. What? Glow in the dark stuff is annoying. Luckily we had a black light flashlight with us and we would "charge" our stars every so often. Anyway, we trick-or-treated with some favorite friends (love you Beatty family!) and got loads of candy and then came home to Lincoln not being able to breathe and whisked him off to the hospital...but that is another story. So without further ado, I give you The Night Sky:


see, we glowed! 

Brynn was Scorpius - this is her best scorpion look


Chloe was Cassiopeia - because she was the queen, obviously

Morgan was the Phoenix


Ellie was Cancer - the crab - she is such a goof


Here are the four sort of cooperative children

Lincoln and Ryder were Gemini "the twins" - they shared a star on the sleeve of each of their shirts. They would not oblige for a photo, so try and get the vision from this series of photos. ha ha. (Lincoln on the left/Ryder on the right)

Ryder on the left/Lincoln on the right...see the half a star on Lincoln's sleeve? 

Ryder

Lincoln on the left, Ryder on the right

Lincoln

Seth was the Big Dipper and I was the Little Dipper. Photo credit: Morgan
And there you have it...the night sky Tates and Halloween 2014! You are welcome Mom. ;)

And now on to November!! I may not be a big Halloween fan, but Thanksgiving is my favorite!!!!

No comments: