Wednesday, March 3, 2010

HELP!

Is it ok if I take a minute to vent here?
(what am I saying, of course it is ok, it is my blog...that was more of a warning for your sake)

My wonderful, sweet and caring little boy has turned into a full blown monster child.
There was the window saga from a few weeks ago,
another opening of the window saga this week,
a general tone of disrespect and brattiness
(hiding from mom and dad, talking back, disobedience, even hitting mom),
taking     f......o...r......e.....v....e...r    to get ready for school lately,
mealtimes have become a battle...some days because he doesn't want to eat...
and some days because he has this unquenchable hunger and won't stop eating,
I have even noticed that he is being a bit of a stinker in preschool,
and today...
well, today the kid found the scissors
(that were hidden in a place I didn't think he could find - ha, that doesn't exist)
and cut the duvet cover I had made for Chloe to shreds during his quiet time! To shreds!!!

In the spirit of full disclosure,
all the kids have had croup this past week,
I have been exhausted from being up all night listening to the kids having croup,
Seth has been going non-stop between school and work,
I am in the middle of a GIANT project that is taking every spare second of my time,
and so I have definitely been slacking a bit in the motherly-duties arena.

I think I need some mothering inspiration...
and so I am petitioning you amazing moms out there for help!
I need your best coping tips, inspiration, book recommendations,
stuff that's worked for you, and yes, even sympathy at this point.

I'm hoping that it is just a phase,
but I have one tip for myself right off the bat
...get more sleep!

P.S. Why is it that I could get work full time, date (more than full time),
hang out with friends, go to school full time,
and be super nice and bubbly for all of it with   
5 hours of sleep or less per night in college,
but now I feel like I need at least 8 hours
to be a reasonably decent human being?

6 comments:

nickle said...

I feel your pain. Teagan is my horrible kid. I keep reminding myself not to strangle him. Maybe he needs more outlets for his energy. More playing outside time? Or maybe more one on one. I notice Teagan simmers down with some one on one time. Maybe find a way to include him in some of your projects. I know my boys love it. It is so funny to see Alex having an opinion on fabric for this project or that. And yes, when a new pair of anything is bought all three kids have to have a say. Hang in there, you'll make it. I've started hiding my scissors in my extra fabric stash. But now Alex doesn't even come close to my stuff, he cut up his hand with my rotary.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen, you poor thing. I feel like both my kids go through crazies sometimes. I always try to attribute it to growing? Hang in there and know they are normal, and you are too! :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

I know this sounds crazy but... baseboards!! I started giving Sofi baseboards to clean when she sas's me or is mean to someone or doesn't listen. Sometimes she will get 5 just in a matter of a minute for being stubborn and not litening (1 at a time of course). It has been AWESOME! I haven't had to sit her in time out (which wasn't working very well anymore). I spray the baseboard with cleaner and give her a wet rag. It is working! And I am not as frustrated. And my baseboards are clean!

Jen said...

Holy crap, Whitney, that is genius!!! He'll think it is fun, but man I am going to have some clean baseboards!!! :)

Shantell said...

I have found with stubborn Pyper, that when she is being a stinker, it is usually just that she wants my attention and she thinks this is a good way to get it. To turn it around, I find something that she is doing really well and praise her beyond belief. Pretty soon she is being as sweet as can be just to get some more attention. I also try to spend 30 minutes each day just the two of us and she gets to pick what we do. (Hard when you have 2 others I know). She loves being in charge and telling me what to play and she is much more cooperative after. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ya, they think it is fun for the first few! But it gets to a point where they start listening so they don't have to do another one! :)