Wednesday, June 23, 2010

this morning I woke up...

to a cell phone ring.
it was my next door neighbor
I didn't make it to my cell phone in time, but when I saw the name on the missed call, I knew.
So I ventured out in the backyard looking for a very curious little 5 year old boy.
I didn't see him in the yard and I didn't see a little black doggie.
So I went, fingers crossed, down into his bedroom.
No boy, no dog, no ripped window screens (whew!).
So, embarassed and feeling like the worst mother ever, I returned to the back yard, and yelled over the fence. Sure enough, one little boy and one black doggy came climbing back through a hole in the fence.

Immediately one little boy and one black doggy were banished to the couch for a lecture.
"Why shouldn't I go outside, mom? I had Callie with me."
"Well, Morgan, what if (neighbor's name inserted here) wanted to still be asleep right now and you are in his yard making a bunch of noise?"
"It was fine mom, he was watching a movie."
"How do you know that? Did you go in his house?"

Out of sheer humiliation, I did not call the neighbor back to apologize.

A few minutes ago, he called to make sure Morgan had made it home safely and I heard the whole story...
Morgan had followed Callie through the doggy door and my neighbor woke up to a little 5 year old boy peeking over the foot of his bed (not to mention the extra dog).
Half asleep, he told Morgan to go home because his mom would be worrying about him.
A little bit later, Morgan returned to "get Callie" out of the neighbor's house while he was watching the morning news.
Worried that I probably have no idea that Morgan isn't still asleep, neighbor called me...
I went looking...child and dog were found...child and dog were punished.

Child and dog will be punished again.

Apparently my "job" starts before I even know I am supposed to be awake!

8 comments:

Jason and Heidi said...

Oh my gosh that is absolutely hysterical!

nickle said...

At least he was in a fenced yard. Teagan used to dash out the front and down the drive to the road. I'm really good at waking up to door openings and closings now.

Diana said...

What a terrific story!

Erin said...

I can't believe that!!! Imagine being your neighbor and waking up to that!!! ha ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. Sounds like you trust and know your neighbor. Thank goodness!!

Derek and Ang said...

Love it! Such a great story. I imagine I have a lot to look forward to ;)

Andrea said...

You're poor neighbor. You're so lucky he's a good one. So funny though

Jess said...

Thank heaven for good neighbors! My neighbor recently told me that Luke showed up at their house a couple weeks ago dressed up like Spiderman and after they talked for a while they sent him home. Obviously I thought he had been in the back yard all that time because I was unaware of this little field trip!