Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Puppy Love

If you have any preconceived notion that I am a perfectly sane and normal individual, just skip this entry entirely - it will change your view of me forever. Those of you who already know that I am a big box of crazy - read on - don't worry, it has a happy ending.

Callie, our older dog, was treated as our child the second she joined our family. She was a pretty hard dog to train. We think she may have been abused as a puppy, but through it all, I just loved her - and everyone knew it!

Roxy, our puppy, was a completely different story. The timing of Roxy's entry to our family could not have been worse. We got her a week and a half before Chloe was born - translation: I was an ornery, 9-month-pregnant, emotional basketcase. Seth was 2 nights into a 6 night string of shifts and so I was on my own to care for this little untrained puppy who whined and yipped all night and slept all day except when she was peeing on my carpet. Needless to say, Roxy and I didn't get off to a very good start.

Why were we so insanely crazy to get her, you ask? She was a cute little pure-bred puppy and we got her for free from a loving home. Honestly, I loved the dream of what would be - a playmate for my Callie and an extra cuddle buddy and pal for the human Tates. HA!

Well, I'd love to say that it got better from there, but it didn't. Seth might tell you differently, he was instantly smitten, but not me. I had to deal with the 6 months of non-potty trained puppy while in the midst of showing our house 3 or 4 times a week. I had to deal with 2 out-of-control dogs stepping on my baby girl in the car every time we had to show the house. I had to deal with the non-stop fighting over bones, toys, etc between Callie and Roxy. I was the one walking 2 dogs and 2 kids in the summer - until I gave up completely on the idea. I was the one awakened in the morning by dogs chasing each other around the house, quickly followed by a crying baby and an ornery toddler. I put up with the endless toys, favorite shoes, computer cords, defrost connector in the car and even the prized Curious George AND Elmo slippers that suffered at the merciless madness of Roxy's chewing craze. I am the one at home when her big clumsy paws and whizzing tail maim children, furniture and even myself. I am the one whose carefully prepared dinner, left warm and ready to make a happy husband, disappeared into the stomach of a crazy (and very tall) dog. Time and again I have reported to Seth that, "HIS dumb dog" has done these things while he was at work.

BUT, and this is probably a completely crazy BUT for any of you who have never experienced the love of a dog, somehow, she has snuck her way into my heart. Even Seth will be surprised, but today, as our family went on a walk in the snow, I looked down at my two little girls (Callie and Roxy) and was overwhelmed with how happy I am that they are a part of our family - even Roxy. In 10 months, she has passed Callie up in height, length, and weight. She is our "calm" dog (still love you, Cal). And, while she still does just about all the crazy things I listed and more, she is a good dog. She is constantly making Chloe giggle, Morgan loves to chase her around, Seth loves to cuddle with her, and me - well, I just love to stand back and watch, so happy that she is an irreplaceable part of family. So if I have offered to give her away to you - just kidding, I take it back. I love you Roxy and you are a keeper.





Roxy - Then and Now

2 comments:

Mama Mimi said...

Your family life looks so fun!! You, the kids, your hubby, and the dogs. So good to stay in touch and check out to see what you are up to!

April said...

Hi there!

I didn't know you did professional organizing! I have been gearing-up to do that myself. Funny.
Hey, did you guys ever get into a new place?