Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Political Rant

If you don't wish to hear my political rant, please skip this post. I am all fired up and frustrated about the "choices" in this presidential election, the complete lack of real and unbiased information from the media, and all of the Bush-bashing finger pointing that is happening right now.

A little bit about my views and background to explain this rant...I am not a partisan voter. I tend to lean democratic in most of my political views, except for gay marriage, abortion, and I am a fan of the middle road in terms of "big business" vs. "the poor". Having majored in Mass Communications in one of the most conservative states in the nation, I believe that the media is a politically partisan mess that does not represent the facts. Having worked in Public Relations, I know that the media searches for sources that back up the message they wish to share - NOT the facts and the truth. Because of this, I rarely watch the news, I don't often read the paper, and when I do, I take everything with a grain of salt, knowing that most of it is probably "spun" to sound engaging and interesting and back up a biased author's views. I hear about the big issues from Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live at which point I typically delve deeper so I can know what the heck is really going on.

I received a link to this article about how poorly our media is representing the housing crisis - who is at fault, who is reaping the benefits and why the whole mess has come to be. I could not agree more with everything that was said.

This upcoming election freaks me out. I feel lost in my quest to be a responsible voter and get the facts...where do you get them? Not the newspaper, not a candidates website or platform (which is completely written by PR professionals trying to make things sound fluffy and good when there isn't really anything to say), not the national or local TV news, so where? As I have done in the past, I will again vote for the person who I deem the least dangerous and the lesser of the evils, but frankly, both McCain and Obama really scare me.

I don't love everything about President Bush, but I think that he has gotten the brunt of a number of bad situations, most of which he is not to blame. Can you honestly tell me that you think Kerry would have handled things better - not a chance! So to all the finger-pointing Bush bashers, I urge you to stop beating a dead horse and focus on the future. We are where we are, and it isn't where we want to be, so why don't we figure out how to get where we want to be?

I don't know all the facts and figures, the pros and cons and the ins and outs of each candidate's platform, but I know how I feel when I see and hear the candidates talk and I know where I stand on the important issues (if only someone stood with me). I am so grateful to be a citizen of this country, for all it was founded upon and for all it stands for, and I want my children to grow up in the country ours was created to be. I want to live in a country where we have values: hard work, family, freedom, equality and a desire to do what is right - even if it is hard. I hope that our country isn't interested only in, "fighting wars they can win" as Biden says. The America of which I am proud to be a part is one where we are interested in fighting for freedom, defending those less fortunate than ourselves, and standing for what is right - whether or not it is an sure win. I am grateful for troops that voluntarily fight for these values every day because it gives me hope that "we the people" are not the people our politicians represent us to be.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, info sources, frustrations, etc. on the upcoming election in the comments...even if you don't agree...I have certainly shared my opposing thoughts on many of your blogs. :)

5 comments:

Joseph Tate said...

I guess that's why I like NPR. I get my "national" news from off continent, namely the BBC (via radio, or RSS feed). It's kind of refreshing to hear political actions, done by our elected officials, idiotic occasionally.

The only problem with that is the BBC really only glosses over the things that I would feel are important. At least their slant is more impartial than the MSNBC's and Fox Newses of the world.

Mama Mimi said...

I am scared too.

Jess said...

I think I said enough at dinner on Friday! :) I couldn't agree more that Bush is a convenient scape goat.

Jones said...

You make interesting points I think a lot of America is worried about as well. I am republican and I too feel that our candidates aren't the best choices and i especially feel that if one of the two is elected, America is in great crises for the next 4 years. I think Bush has done an excellent job with everything that has been thrown at him. I blame Congress (who are the majority Democrat)with a lot of what has happened to our economy. Just because your the commander and chief doesn't mean you have all right to say all and do all. It is sad that the truths are not being published, that is why I a watch a station I feel best covers the political race fairly and accuratly as possible. I too still take things with a grain of salt, but I feel that pointing fingers at one man is NOT the way to be American. We voted, and the outcome of it all is where the economy is because the people have talked. I think right now America needs a major purge of Congress, Elected officials and other positions and put in new and fresh politicians who have not been taking bribes, who are not safe from the economic crises like those on the hill. The good thing is, America is still free and thank God for that. We vote, we pledge we fight. It's not about fighting any war I agree to that, it is about our country about us, but when others dare to pick a fight with us...then I say we NEVER turn our cheek. Like 9/11...Our people innocent working people died that day for no reason other then going to work as we do and yet someone said death to us for being free. I agree with fighting back and we did and we made changes...and countries are thankful to us for that reason. Same concept in Politics... we shouldn't have to allow others to point and punish one man for millions of voters work. We are the People, we do speak and we do have a right to freedom therefore believe what you feel is right stand for what you know is true, but do not point one way when the other should be pointed back at the voter. Despite the Economy, I feel we will be fine, but if a certain person is elected then we have 4 years unexperienced politics at hand. I think it is great to read what you wrote and encourage anyone who has LOGICAL REASONING to do so such as you. of course after reading this you may think I don't ha! Politics...it's a vantage point for many cases.

Be good!!!

Andrea said...

I got some chills when a read that. And I breathed a big sigh of relief that you delve deeper than Weekend Update. I more or less agree with what you've said. Thanks for writing it.