Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Escape

I am afraid I have an escape artist on my hands
(and I am not talking about my dog because you already know about that)

Earlier this week I sent Morgan to his room for quiet time.
Our agreement is that he needs to lay quietly in his bed and listen to the Floppy Sleep Game CD for 30 minutes (and he does still fall asleep sometimes!)
and if he is still quietly in his bed when the timer goes off
he gets to play Leapster or any other quiet activities in his room for another hour
(if not, he still plays quietly in his room for the hour, he just doesn't get the Leapster).

Well, during the first 30 minutes he got out my Cricut Machine and was "playing with it"
so when I went down to give him his Leapster, I kind of freaked out.
Last time he "played" with my cricut it cost me $40 to replace what he messed up,
but I thought he had learned his lesson.
Apparently not, so he was in BIG trouble...
no leapster
locked door
and the rest of quiet time would now be "grounded in your room" time
(I told you...I kind of freaked out).

About 20 minutes later, my phone rang.
It was my neighbor who just happened to have the day off work...
"Morgan is over at my house, he says he escaped"
"...escaped?"
"yeah...that's what he told me...thought you'd want to know"
"I'll be right out!"

Out I went and found my 4 year-old hanging out with our neighbor and
feeling pleased as punch with himself for
"escaping"
"How in the world?" I was thinking as I walked down my neighbor's driveway to retreive him...
and then I saw the window.

He had unlocked his (basement) window,
opened the window,
ripped a hole in the screen,
and climbed out.
Yeah, rediculous, and crazy scary, and it just got more crazy scary the more I thought about it!

He sat in time-out for a good hour and a half until dinner
and then after a serious discussion went to bed to await his
"final punishment"
from dad in the morning
(which was really really awful, but it had to be...
it is almost impossible to punish a kid who makes everything fun,
but my mom came up with the idea to send daddy
with the girls, but without Morgan,
on a super fun outing complete with treats.
They went to the zoo and we ran errands
and that sweet little boy couldn't hold back the tears as he watched them go
which broke my heart to pieces - but he got it)!

He hasn't done it since, but don't be surprised if you see bars on my windows soon!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Man! I would have freaked out, too! Little stinker! My kid did that once- opened the front door and went across the street to "chat" with the neighbors. I realized the house was too quiet about 5 minutes later and found him outside. The neighbor gave me a dressing down and threatened to call DCFS on me. I was sooo upset! We installed a deadbolt high up the next day! Your punishment was right on, in my opinion!

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS! Sorry, but it is! :)

Andrea said...

I would have freaked. I'm glad he figured out the lesson though.