Monday, September 8, 2008

Back to School

Today was the day...Morgan's first day of preschool. Last night, his nerves started to get the best of him and he said, "Mom, I'm not big enough to go to preschool. I'm still little." I couldn't agree more little buddy! Then he told Seth he wanted to have Dad come with him and not Mom. Well, that didn't sound like a good plan to me, so instead we both went and I think he was pretty happy about that.

He looked utterly adoreable in his back to school clothes and his itty bitty backpack.

While I didn't get nearly as emotional as I expected, I am sure it was obvious that he is my oldest child. I had the camera out and ready to capture every moment of his first day. Now, I am not a crazy, follow-your-kid to school mom, it just so happens that the first day of preschool at his school is an "open-house" meaning that parents come with their kids for a shorter-than-normal class to learn how things work and see the kids in their routine. It was so fun to watch him learn new things, interact with new people and get excited about all the cool things waiting to be explored! I could tell he was a little overwhelmed with all of the excitement and just trying to soak it all in, but as we talked about it after class, I could tell that he loved it!
One of my favorite parts was watching him raise his hand to answer questions. Every question that was asked, he raised his hand...and kept it raised long after the question was answered (sometimes even by him) and all the other kids' hands were down. So funny!
I also loved how excited he got about the "library" station where they have little couches and books to read. He just went right in, picked out a book, found a seat and started "reading". That's my little guy for you!
The scariest part was when they got to color some basic shapes and cut them out with parent assistance...I was very scared for the safety of my fingers as I helped him move the paper to cut out the shapes. Circles and hearts are a little tricky for a first-time scissor user. (Sorry, no pictures of this event...I had the camera around my neck but my hands were very busy trying to avoid choppage!

As soon as we got home, Morgan went down to his room to change out of his "school clothes" until I realized what he was doing and explained that "school clothes" is just what we call them, we still wear them ALL DAY. He is already talking about the next time he goes to school, so I think he liked it enough to go back! Happy first day of school sweetie!

4 comments:

Hillary said...

What a nice mom you are...mine wouldn't ever let us keep our school clothes on all day. We had to change as soon as we got home!


P.S. Morgan looks so dang cute!

April said...

Oh, this is so cute. It's nice they let the parents hang around. What a good idea. How cool that you got all of these pictures!

Erin said...

I laughed so hard on Eason's first day of pre-school. All the parents there had cameras and it was like a super-model photo shoot, or Academy Awards night with paparazzi everywhere! I did cry! And I've cried every first day since!

Anonymous said...

I'm like Erin. Although It was Mason's second year of preschool this year, I still got a little choked up as he hopped out of the car with his new teacher. I think I will every year. Super cute post. Morgan is adorable.