Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Where did he learn that?

I often find myself asking this question about Morgan. It seems like he knows so much that I haven't "taught" him. He only watches limited Signing Time Videos, Elmo's World Videos and the occasional Veggie Tales or Disney movies, so he isn't picking this stuff up from TV and Preschool doesn't start for another 5 days (yes, the countdown has begun) so he isn't getting it there...yet, though I know he will soon.

Today, we were coloring a picture to give his preschool teacher on his first day, and as I watched him color, I realized that he was holding the crayon with the correct writing grip - we've never worked on that, so I wonder how he figured it out? Then he said, "I'm going to write my name now," and 'signed' his name in one long squiggly line at the bottom as he sounded out Morgan - again, writing his name is not something we have even talked about. Lately at mealtime he has been very grateful for his food. It doesn't matter whether I have whipped up Chicken Piccata, mashed potatoes, squash and bruschette or a grilled cheese sandwich, Morgan always says, "This ________ is really good Mommy. Thank you for making it for me." I probably should have taught him this, but I capped my manners training at a simple please and thank you - I know, low expecations for a 3 year old, right? So, while I am blissfully happy that he has learned these things, I am still left to wonder where he learned it.

Then there are the things that I see him do and know exactly where they come from...often to my dismay. "Freaking dogs," "Not gonna happen" and a bossy little, "Sit down Chloe or you will have to get out of the bath right now," are among the many phrases he has picked up from yours truly. I occassionally notice him biting his nails when he gets nervous or edgy about something and his expectations that everything to be done exactly his way are all too familiar.

One thing is for certain, I sure love watching this little guy learn new things. I'm glad he is picking up some good stuff along the way, and while I may not know the source, It's great to know that even if you don't do everything right as a parent ('cause who really does) kids learn the stuff they need to anyway!

1 comment:

Erin said...

The get the good stuff from us as well as the stuff we get embarrased by! It's amazing what our kids will absorb while watching us! Kinda scarey, too!