Saturday, July 18, 2009

Growth Experience

Since I used this blog as a venue for venting about the challenges of my new calling as a primary teacher, I think it only fair to let you know that I am feeling like the storm has passed (or maybe, I am just in the eye of a hurricane, but the optimist in me would like to believe the first). After serious reflection, study and seeking out helpful resources (thanks to those of you who offered encouragement and suggestions), I decided to have the kids come up with some rules and rewards and basically just have a candid and open conversation about how we could bring the spirit into our class. Of course, I had some ideas of my own that we combined with theirs, but they were excited to have their ideas acknowledged and implemented.

The next week, I arrived in a room that was fully set up, kids -with scriptures in hand - who were reverently chatting with each other as they awaited their lesson, and then the whole lesson (taught by my teaching partner, Ashley) they were attentive and participating. At the end of the lesson, Ashley and I were both wondering if we were really in the same classroom. I would have updated you then, but I thought it may have been a fluke, however, it has continued to go very well and, as I finished preparing my lesson for tomorrow, I found myself excited about the lesson and the opportunity to teach it to my sweet class. And, at our Primary summer party, I was thrilled to have the girl in my class excited to be on my team and the boys excited to be racing against me and soaking me with water guns...that is how you know they like you, right?

Really, I can take no credit for the change...I am just thankful that callings come with guidance and direction from the Spirit. I still miss my sweet sweet young women...I think I always will...but I am grateful for this growth experience and I am truly enjoying my calling again!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Well, when I peeked in your class yesterday I understood why you had frustrations! :) But it looked like things were under control, and I'm glad you've reached some peace! I'm still hoping for my own!

Andrea said...

Those boys are buggers. I feel for anyone that has to teach them. Just remember the blessings in heaven.

Larson Love said...

Jen! It was so nice to see you at the zoo. Scott and I would love to have you over sometime. What does your schedule look like?