Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Overtaken by Monsters

For any of you who have shared a recent playdate with my children, it is no secret that they like to be monsters/lions/{insert name of anything else that growls here}. And while this behavior is extremely annoying to me, and most other adults, they love it and their friends play right along, so apparently they like it too. In an attempt to not sweat the small stuff/pick my battles/attempt to not yell at my kids all day long, when used on a playground or in the backyard and not in the middle of church, at the library, or directly into an unsuspecting face, I have decided to let this one go. That seems harmless enough, right?

Wrong! Yesterday, all the kids were sleeping when I heard a growl coming from the portable crib. I must be hearing things, I think to myself...and then I hear it again and again and again! Later in the evening, after the big kids were in bed, Seth and I were watching a (crazy and very weird) movie, again comes a little growl from the portable crib. "Was that a growl?" Seth asked...and what could we do but laugh?! So yeah, our dainty little 5 month old girl is a fluent babbler, roller and now growler! I guess it will be funny in a few years when I tell Brynnie's handsome date that her first word was "grrr" (pretty much identical to the sound Lion makes before it pounces its oponent), but for now, I feel as though my house is being taken over by monsters of the growling variety. It is true that babies are sponges...and when they have older siblings...that isn't always a good thing!

5 comments:

nickle said...

Alex and Teagan do that too. They used to only do it when they were mad with each other, better than hitting. Now they have moved on to hitting, I wish they would growl at each other.

Jeremy and Heidi said...

That's so funny--I'm trying to imagine her making that noise!

Aania Gowans said...

THAT is so funny! I will be watching my back for Brynnie:)

Mama Mimi said...

Now that is weird. Because we have monsters at our house as well. Hmmm.

Andrea said...

If you want another kid that likes to growl I can send Dylan over. I've also been meaning to tell you for weeks that Brynn is beautiful. She truly is a gorgeous baby. And I'm pretty anti-baby these days.