It is amazing to me how all of a sudden around age 3, Morgan's imagination suddenly blossomed revealing the world of his mind filled with creatures and ideas that I didn't know he knew about. Since most of his buddies are older than him and have been imagining thigs for a while now, I was beginning to wonder if he was just not going to have an active imagination, and then one day out of nowhere, there it was. A vivid imagination beyond my wildest expectations.
Lately, we have had lots of visitors joining us on our daily adventures. Dragons on the ceiling or pooping in the bathtub, pigs who pester him during breakfast to the point where he wants to go open the door so they will leave, and silver seahorses and a purple octopus tickling his feet in the swimming pool. With a vivid imagination of my own, I certainly don't want to discourage this imaginative creativity, but the pig is really starting to disrupt our breakfast time! So, today I told Morgan he either needed to become friends with the pig or tell him to wait by the door during breakfast. I am hopeful that this attempt to feed his budding imagination does not backfire and result in sort of psychological disorder...my parents acknowledged my imaginary friend growing up, and I turned out mostly normal, right?
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







5 comments:
Eason's imaginary friend "Ethan" can do all the dangerous things I won't let him do- 4 wheeling, motorcycling, skateboarding, etc. He hates it when I ask if Ethan's mom is worried about his safety.
"Mom... he's imaginary- he doesn't have a mom!"
Imaginations should definitely be encouraged! That's one of the most healthy things you can do for your kid.
Don't experts say that kids with active, colorful imaginations end up with higher IQ's and do better in school? I agree! Plus, I remember my youngest brother's 3 imaginary friends who were also, incidentally, his "sons": Temp, Tang, and Justin (yeah, those were really the names, nice!). Whenever Parker did something he shouldn't, he would explain that his sons/imaginary friends were the real culprit. If nothing else, it provided us all some excellent entertainment!
That is great...maybe a pig at the breakfast table would better explain Caleb's eating habits without utensils! I'll have to ask him...it could work!
So Crazy story, I am hanging out with my High School friend Rachel Vincent here in Santa Monica and she gives me her blog. I come to look and see a familiar face with Jen and Seth Tate? How fun is that link.
Post a Comment