Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Too Quiet

Here I sit on the couch in my house missing a little boy, because it is too quiet in the house. I can hear the babble of a little girl talking about her shoes and reading a book, I hear the sound of two crazy dogs wrestling as they try to figure out who is top dog (for the millionth time), and outside I can hear the construction from a couple of blocks away, but the sound that's is missing is Morgan. The silly laugh, the endless chatter, the pitter patter of little feet always finding something new and exciting to do and even the sound of all the "noisy" toys he loves to play with with Chloe.

While I kept it all together on Monday, today was a different story. Monday I didn't have to leave him, but today, dropping off my little baby boy to spend three hours learning and laughing and playing without me, I realized that he really isn't a baby boy anymore. He's a big boy who doesn't have a twinge of fear knowing that he is on his own today...no mommy, no daddy, no Chloe, just Morgan, Miss Corinne, Giffy, Wyatt and all his new preschool buddies...not even a glance behind him as he headed off to the manupulative table to the sound of my "Goodbye, I love you!" Chloe and I were like a couple of lost sheep when we got home, not knowing what to do with ourselves, so we went on some girly errands to pick out fun fabrics, but still the time could not pass fast enough. While I know that I will adjust and adapt and learn to relish this time while he is gone, for today I am counting down the minutes until we can go pick him up and give him an extra big hug, just so he knows we missed him!

(Now, does that sound more like the emotional mess of a mommy you all know and love?)

4 comments:

April said...

Sweet.

Robyn said...

Wow, should I feel bad that I can't wait for preschool days? Maybe because this is my second kid to go. I'm sure I felt this way with my first, right?

nickle said...

I'm starting to second think holding Alex out of preschool this year, though it is a little to late to change my mind now. There are a few days I wouldn't mind just spending a few hours with Teagan and knowing my laptop is safe.

Mama Mimi said...

That sounds just exactly like the kind of mommy that I am.