Sunday, October 26, 2008

Grandma Colleen's Halloween Party

Yesterday we had a Halloween Party at my Grandma's house and it was so much fun! Since Grandma loves to see all the kids in their Halloween costumes and things get so crazy for all of us with kids on Halloween, she hosts a party (which my sweet Aunt Marianne plans to perfection) each year so she can see them in costume before the sugar buzz sets in! The kids (mostly their parents, but we do it for the kids) got to dip caramel apples, we make mummies out of twinkies and Jelly beans, frost ghost cakes, make eyeballs out of white powdered donuts, gummy lifesavers and red frosting, make witch fingers out of candy molds and pretzels, color the pumpkins we picked out at the pumpkin patch last week, eat pizza and drink root beer from a witch's cauldron. They had a bouncy castle thing out back and since the weather was delightful, the kids played out there for most of the time. Thanks to Marianne and Grandma for the fun times!
Morgan traced his hand on the pumpkin in red...he was so proud of that! :)
Early in September, I decided I would let Morgan decide what he wanted to be this year since I have picked for him the past 3 years. He said he wanted to be a farmer. What a stupid costume, I thought, no one will know what he is! So, I told him no and convinced him that he wanted to be a pirate. I left it alone for a week or so and asked him what he was going to be for Halloween, "I'm going to be a farmer." Again, I told him no and asked him what we had talked about that he was really going to be. "I am going to be a pirate....and a farmer," he said. After 3 or 4 more of these encounters, and upon realizing that a farmer costume would be super easy to pull together (thanks for the revelation of Kid to Kid, Mandy), I decided to cave and let him be a farmer if he wanted. So, Morgan will be a farmer for Halloween, and not just any farmer..."Old MacDonald had a farm E-I-E-I-O" as he tells anyone who asks what he is. He was too busy playing with the cousins for me to get a picture of him in his full costume (he has a straw hat with bandanna, a kid size rake and red work boots to go with the button-up shirt and overalls).
With this in mind, I decided to Chloe could be a duck on Morgan's farm since she is really good at making duck noises...then I started looking for costumes and realized that a duck costume is hard...so I decided she could be a pig on Morgan's farm. I made her a pink tutu with a piggy tail, pig ear bows and even a pig nose and dressed her head to toe in pink. I even made a matching tutu for her stuffed pig...unfortunately it has gone missing, so we have to go find a new one that is small enough to fit the tutu.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I think that Chole's costume may be the cutest thing I have ever seen! I LOVE it! That is very adorable!

w and w said...

Farmer? What a great idea. Don't worry I would probably have similar initial thoughts to your though. And by the way he looks SO much like Seth. I bet you love that.

Ryan and Staci said...

Chloe's costume is so dang cute! Hope the pregnancy is still going alright and Seth's school too. :)