So back to the story, my mom's dad, Grandpa TM took up running when he retired from working. Since then Grandma Colleen and Grandpa TM have travelled the world running interesting marathons...Czech Republic, Disney World, Boston (a couple of times), Alaska, somewhere in the Caribbean, California Redwoods, and many many more. For his 80th birthday, he celebrated by running the Grand Slam - 5 marathons in 6 months and he finished all of them, winning most of them for his age bracket (not hard when there are only 2 in the age bracket).
Well, every year, Grandpa runs the 24th of July marathon, never mind that it is one of the hottest, hilliest (is that a word), and most trying marathons out there. So, every year, we go and cheer him on. I am pretty pathetic when it comes to cheering on the runners. In sheer awe and utter inspiration of what they are doing, I get teary just seeing a runner jogging by, so I am always too choked up to cheer. Well, this year we got a late start so we met Grandpa at mile 22 by Rice Eccles Stadium. We barely got there in time to see him running toward us, so Grandma was filming and my mom, the kids and I walked with Grandpa down to the corner. Since he hadn't seen her, Grandpa asked where Grandma was and we assured him that she was there, just behind the camera.
After we waved him off and wished him luck, we hurried down to South Temple and 500 S. to cheer for him again. As we sat waiting and watching for him, I realized how sweet it all is. A few nights before the race, my grandparents sit down and map out which landmarks Grandma will be waiting at and what times Grandpa should be there based on his most recent runs. And so it goes...Grandma gets to the first "stop" early to see how he is doing and then calls all who are coming to cheer to let them know what time he will be at the next landmarks. Then once she sees him, she drives to the next landmark, and on and on until the end of the race. Pretty amazing if you ask me!
Well, when he got down to us, Chloe went running up to him, arms outstretched and smiling face and got her wish when Grandpa picked her up...at mile 24! I immediately took her back the little stink, but not before she gave him loves. Morgan wanted to be picked up too, but I put my foot down there!
The camera battery was dead for fireworks so no pictures here, but thanks to all who came to watch with us...we love the reunion of friends old and new every year and this year's fireworks were AMAZING!







5 comments:
They are amazing, aren't they? I got choled up just reading about it!
I meant to say, "Choked up!"
Wow, that's amazing. I hope I'm that spry at 81! Heck, I'm not that spry now.
Oh Jen, that is the sweetest story ever. Your Grandpa is amazing. And the support of your dear Grandma is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing!
I'm always inspired by those who keep going strong after retirement.
Post a Comment