Monday, April 13, 2009

A Quick Update on Brynnie's Battle

I have Easter pictures and posts to come, but I wanted to share a quick update about Brynn while we are in the midst of it all. Last Tuesday we were able to see an Ear Nose and Throat specialist to see what is causing all of the trouble in Brynn's nose and ears. They did a scope and found that everything was as it should be in her sinus cavity and throat, it was just extremely swollen and red with milk residue in multiple locations. Based on these finidings, the doctor felt very strongly that both the congestion and the ear infections are stemming from reflux because it is so violent that spit up comes out of her mouth and nose. He thought that if we could get the reflux to clear up, the congestion and ear infections would clear as well. Another test found that there is still fluid in her ears, though, so we go back in next Monday to follow-up with the ENT and if there is still fluid we will have to proceed with tubes.

So, after much time spent on the phone with our insurance company and doctor's offfice, I was finally able to get her Prevacid perscription approved. Our insurance requires special authorization from the doctor which he has been ready to provide since she was 2 weeks old and we knew this was a problem. Despite my numerous calls to have the form faxed to the doctor, it never went through until finally I made them fax it while I was on the phone and follow up to make sure it was received. Then, they never received the approval that the doctor's office faxed them - 4 times, but wouldn't verify that until it had been 24 hours since the fax was sent...blah...blah...blah...so after yelling at them on the phone numerous days in a row, they finally made a special exception and approved it for my Doctor over the phone. Insurance is SO annoying! Still, the prescription cost us $45 (the insurance covered the other $130) for one month - normally we don't pay more than $10 for anything.

Unfortunately, even with a very agressive treatment of twice daily Prevacid and 4 times daily Reglin, Brynn is still spitting up violently after she eats, wanting to suck on something all the time, and so congested she sounds like a little piggy and has a difficult time eating and breathing. Last night, Seth and I were talking about it and discussed some of her symptoms and Seth researched some possible causes of all of this. We called this morning and upon hearing her symptoms, was concerned about the same possibilities that Seth had researched, so he is working to schedule some x-ray/ultrasound tests for us up at Primary Children's. If it is what we suspect (which I would tell you the name of if I knew it), she will be going in for surgery.

So, that is our update...I will try to keep everyone posted as we move forward. Keep Brynnie in your prayers. She is such a little sweetheart despite all of this and we just want her to be healthy and happy soon!

4 comments:

Mama Mimi said...

Oh sweet Brynn! Whatever is the problem I hope that it can be resolved quickly. I can only imagine how hard this has been for you and Seth to watch her feel so miserable for so long! She is in our thoughts and prayers!

April said...

Oh, poor thing! I'm so sorry. We'll be praying for you.

Kim / Belly Button and Co. said...

oh no... i hope your little one starts to see the brighter side of things!!!! insurance sucks!!!! i had to go through that same thing... and the squeeky wheel gets the oil!!!!!!! gosh... good luck with everything.

Jess said...

Poor little sweet heart!!! Insurance is from the devil. I hope they can get her well soon.